Monday, February 19, 2007

Hoppy's girlfriend?


When people come to visit for the first time I always add, after giving them directions, " and watch out for deer!"

In the Lanark Highlands, drivers have to be on the look out for deer any time of the day, month or year. We have to practice "Constant vigilance!" (as Mad-eye Moodie says in Harry Potter). If one crosses the road in front of me I always slow down, as two or more often follow. You never know when a deer might suddenly burst from the brush at the side of the road. My neighbours have had deer run headlong into the side of their van - twice!



David and I have had many close calls with deer, but the one in the photo was not one of them. It crossed the road well ahead of my trusty van and as I had my camera, here's a shot of her! Don't the dried Queen Anne's Lace seed heads in the foreground look beautiful against the warm red-brown of the deer's winter coat?