Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Moose and Turkey



I had to drive from Elphin to Peterborough (Ontario) the other day and, although it was a dreary day, I did spot some interesting wildlife!

The first animal to hove into view was a huge cow moose! It was standing a hundred yards from the highway on a frozen marsh. I have driven that highway many times and this was my first moose sighting. I did a U turn and pulled up on the side of the road to get a photo but the moose took off as soon as my car stopped. Too bad.

An hour later I had to slow down because a flock of wild turkeys were crossing the highway. A group of seven females scurried in front of me. This time I did manage to get a few shots before they disappeared behind a barn. Turkeys are gorgeous birds. I wrote an article on them which you can read (if you are interested) at the wonderful Log Cabin Chronicles site.